collapse

Author Topic: Magic systems and Elysium  (Read 435 times)

May 16, 2018, 08:44:23 am
Magic is a huge part of Elysium and a driving force that keeps a lot of players on the server instead of simply leaving for higher quality ones. The community has full control over how the laws of the world work to a certain extent due to the lack of official lore, and even that isn't required to be followed in some cases. For more on that an interesting thread I support was the one Melon wrote the other day, which you can find here- http://www.forum.elysiumrp.net/index.php?topic=3626.0
Basically the lore team is useless and we're left to fend for ourselves.
Anyway back to the main point of this thread which is the magic that we use in our roleplay. Magic is one of the most inconsistent forces in Elysium because everyone uses different laws that don't mix well, drawing ideas and inspiration from a mix of other fantasy gaming and media tropes that weren't designed to fit together. I'm guilty of this too, basing most of my lore off another roleplay server I go on and having an extreme bias when listening to how other lore works. There isn't really a fix to this in the near future unless staff get their [Redacted because apparently this is a word you can get in trouble for saying?] together however in the meantime I've come across a few videos that made me start thinking, and I'd like to share those with you guys today. -

I came across them completely by accident. They talk about the different magic systems in different fantasy tropes most of us will know well, specifically hard and soft magic  systems and the rules that come  with them.  They talk about  the laws that are involved with magic and how each system deals with them, and if you follow them it'll probably make your magic a lot more consistent and help your roleplay abilities in general. I know personally they've given me a lot to think about and re-evaluate next time I'm writing up lore. Please tell me what you think below.
  • Character name: Cassandra, Maxwell, Kaitlin~
  • Minecraft Username: Jyecarson, LifeStrife_2017

Have a nice day! :D

May 16, 2018, 11:49:03 am
I actually might watch those myself, for my own writing purposes.

But yeh, Jye is right.
  • Character name: Wakes-With-Dawn (Argonian), Runs-Into-Fire (Argonian), Saraya (Kobold), Sunmeer (Ouginak), Fennrin (Dwarf), Mayain Sundar (Half-Elf)
  • Minecraft Username: Juan_Plays
"Hey, what are you doing on the floor?"

"I thought I'd find my dignity down here."

• No avatar
July 14, 2018, 11:44:50 am
I've got to be honest - and I know this was created a month ago, shhh - I would support this change. Elysium would be a much more interesting place if we had a definitive understanding of magic. Yes, we couldn't make it /really/ hard, due to custom races and all, but having a logical system that would allow for a lot strategy in fights other than, 'Ohh, I have a sword and antimagic rune, now I'm all good to fight a magic user.' Then again, this would also put bigger restrictions on custom races, especially if they when with a classical arcane type of magic.
  • Minecraft Username: Psyix

• No avatar
July 14, 2018, 02:57:13 pm
In the upcoming updates to Elysium, Sammo himself (Our lord, the owner), said he'd be working on ways to improve magic and how it works on Elysium, with new systems and what not as well as lore. Hopefully Elysium will improve soon with these new upcoming changes. I can't say when they'll be happening as I do not know myself but I can say that they will be happening and are being worked on.
  • Character name: Tacitus Sunfist
  • Minecraft Username: MasterThor
Hi! My name is Tyler (Better known as Thor, or MasterThor). I enjoy writing lore and I am open for requests! PM me or ask me in the shoutbox and I will happily write any lore you want!

July 14, 2018, 02:58:46 pm
Having a restriction on custom races isnít so bad, looking at the fate of Ely right now. The server needs more restrictions and more administration. Iím not saying we remove the system, as itís a huge part of Elysium, but what I am saying is that more measures be taken so that custom races arenít too strong or donít make sense. I think requiring a written lore for it, and having it be checked over before usage, would be a good start.
  • Character name: Wakes-With-Dawn (Argonian), Runs-Into-Fire (Argonian), Saraya (Kobold), Sunmeer (Ouginak), Fennrin (Dwarf), Mayain Sundar (Half-Elf)
  • Minecraft Username: Juan_Plays
"Hey, what are you doing on the floor?"

"I thought I'd find my dignity down here."

July 14, 2018, 03:12:54 pm
(Speaking of Custom races that don't make sense, I made a lore for demons that's balanced, logical, and not Overly edgy. I recommend Looking at That Real quick.)

Yes, When I make custom Races, I put a restriction On races I deem too powerful for Roleplay (I.E. The Hugurandi) and Say "You cannot Play this without my Permission; If you play it without my permission, The staff have full Right to Tell you to change it."

That way if somebody comes on the Forums, if they see it, They can't just say "Ooh, a Ridiclously Overpowered Race that I can Abuse and Nobody can stop Me." Yeah, no.

I recommend You do this with some of your Races too, even the Weaker, balanced ones, Cause people are more likely to ignore the Weaknesses and Show off their "Strengths". You can still play it Yourself, since you have permission from Yourself (?) But if anyone else is playing it and you didn't give them the O.K., You have the Full right to Call up staff, Tell them about your Lore page, and let them Handle it.  It'll also work better for Clans made up solely of said Races, since then you can't have some Outsider prancing around as one of You.

There, my case is Closed. *Drops mic and It flies up to Ceiling*

• Character name: Bad Oatmeal, White Nick Fury, Angery Lady, Garfield, Teabag, Grandpa, Crazy Orc, and Short Asian Lady
  • Minecraft Username: _Mr_hyde_
Itís my job to annoy people and Start Arguments, so....Į\_(ツ)_/Į

(Speaking of Custom races that don't make sense, I made a lore for demons that's balanced, logical, and not Overly edgy. I recommend Looking at That Real quick.)

Yes, When I make custom Races, I put a restriction On races I deem too powerful for Roleplay (I.E. The Hugurandi) and Say "You cannot Play this without my Permission; If you play it without my permission, The staff have full Right to Tell you to change it."

That way if somebody comes on the Forums, if they see it, They can't just say "Ooh, a Ridiclously Overpowered Race that I can Abuse and Nobody can stop Me." Yeah, no.

I recommend You do this with some of your Races too, even the Weaker, balanced ones, Cause people are more likely to ignore the Weaknesses and Show off their "Strengths". You can still play it Yourself, since you have permission from Yourself (?) But if anyone else is playing it and you didn't give them the O.K., You have the Full right to Call up staff, Tell them about your Lore page, and let them Handle it.  It'll also work better for Clans made up solely of said Races, since then you can't have some Outsider prancing around as one of You.

I think there needs to be a limit for how many custom races there are. We have enough, we need to set ourselves a cap. That cap number should be what ever the team feels right, and we should remove some of these lores that are old, unused, and incorrectly pieced together.

Then people will be re-directed to make some actual lore about stories, plants, animals, diseases, characters themselves etc.
  • Character name: Arapaho Maliseet - Current Main.
  • Minecraft Username: Treepuncher2014
Treepuncher2014#7993
Arapaho Maliseet (Sunwalker) Naakhurz Madtseel (Ork)

July 14, 2018, 05:24:58 pm

I think there needs to be a limit for how many custom races there are. We have enough, we need to set ourselves a cap. That cap number should be what ever the team feels right, and we should remove some of these lores that are old, unused, and incorrectly pieced together.

Then people will be re-directed to make some actual lore about stories, plants, animals, diseases, characters themselves etc.

When mulitple custom races of the same race are made then I think staff need to 'pick' or make a official version of said race, Eg: About 10 people make lores on Demons and it causes issues because they're roleplaying demons in roark with different powers and looks but are the same name. Staff need to them sweep in and be like "Demons are pretty popular, we will make a official demon race so there are no misconceptions" Same goes with other custom lores on the same race like the multiple angel ones.
  • Character name: Vuldin Oberon
  • Minecraft Username: Zucchini_Warrior

July 14, 2018, 05:51:55 pm

When mulitple custom races of the same race are made then I think staff need to 'pick' or make a official version of said race, Eg: About 10 people make lores on Demons and it causes issues because they're roleplaying demons in roark with different powers and looks but are the same name. Staff need to them sweep in and be like "Demons are pretty popular, we will make a official demon race so there are no misconceptions" Same goes with other custom lores on the same race like the multiple angel ones.

What Zucc said. Also wow people are commenting on one of my posts? Unheard of.
  • Character name: Cassandra, Maxwell, Kaitlin~
  • Minecraft Username: Jyecarson, LifeStrife_2017

Have a nice day! :D

July 16, 2018, 10:58:35 pm
to everything in this post, basically:

mhm yes please I beg, for the good of the remaining community

bye again for like months and good luck with this and the ideas are nice, eek

:P
I'm annoying and a horrible person.

A n i m e .

*Crawls under rock*

Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Zyvo: So is the server offline?
    September 05, 2018, 01:35:31 am
  • MasterThor: Why were all of my posts deleted and my account reset...
    September 06, 2018, 07:23:46 pm
  • MasterThor: Now I'm confused my login details signed me into a different account
    September 06, 2018, 07:24:37 pm
  • _Mr_hyde_: According to History, your Account still exists like why it signed you into a different one I don't know.
    September 06, 2018, 10:07:53 pm
  • 𝔗𝔯𝔢𝔢𝔭𝔲𝔫𝔠𝔥𝔢𝔯: For some reason your profile picture had a big red X when I clicked on it, as well as I see none of your posts as well
    September 06, 2018, 11:05:54 pm
  • _Mr_hyde_: Also, I might point out your ORIGINAL Account was Called True Masterthork while the current one is just masterthor.
    September 06, 2018, 11:22:12 pm
  • MasterThor: Yeah... idk what's going on
    September 07, 2018, 12:08:12 am
  • MasterThor: Hopefully Elysium revives soon, it took a heavy hit and the playerbase dropped
    September 07, 2018, 12:09:34 am
  • _Mr_hyde_: Rip Ely
    September 07, 2018, 01:11:23 am
  • 𝔗𝔯𝔢𝔢𝔭𝔲𝔫𝔠𝔥𝔢𝔯: RIP
    September 07, 2018, 01:35:54 am
  • Zyvo: Can't get online and there are 20 players online. Ahh, want to work on my tower.
    September 09, 2018, 03:08:55 am
  • Yinguki: Anyone having issues logging in?
    September 11, 2018, 02:21:28 am
  • Jyecarson: Try using direct connect! It helps for a lot of people
    September 11, 2018, 10:38:10 am
  • 𝔗𝔯𝔢𝔢𝔭𝔲𝔫𝔠𝔥𝔢𝔯: post [link]
    September 12, 2018, 09:54:41 pm
  • MoistHammer: How am I supposed to find a sweaty minecraft boyfriend if NOBODY plays this DAMN server anymore!?
    September 19, 2018, 01:34:00 am
  • Kazmirl: Fair enough...
    September 19, 2018, 01:59:26 am
  • Mellonlord33: Gonna create a lore post "series". Going to give a basic run down of Elysium's lore.
    September 20, 2018, 08:29:50 pm
  • Mellonlord33: Might be a little outdated (idk what lore team has changed) but I think it should be a good guideline for new players to follow.
    September 20, 2018, 08:30:33 pm
  • _Mr_hyde_: Though it isn't guaranteed they'll actually follow it.
    September 21, 2018, 02:55:00 am
  • Mellonlord33: What is at this point hyde?
    September 21, 2018, 11:04:40 pm