collapse

Author Topic: Tacitus' Lightning Spear Spell  (Read 75 times)

• No avatar
May 15, 2018, 03:30:54 pm
Lightning Spear

The Lightning Spear is a spell developed by Tacitus Sunfist, a Mage who specialized in Storm/Lightning Magic. The power of this spell scales with the power of the caster, meaning a beginner won't be able to do much damage, at least compared to a master wielding this spell. There are three levels of Mastery with this spell. In order to learn this spell, one must speak to Tacitus Sunfist or any other mage who knows the spell.

Mastery Level One (Beginner)

At Mastery Level One, the level you achieve upon successfully learning the spell, it is still rather basic in terms of damage and speed. It takes three emotes to form and then one emote to throw, does a decent amount of damage and travels at around 10 meters a second and can travel for 100 meters, and has drop like that of a regular spear. At Mastery Level One it only has one form, the basic form,
 in which it explodes upon impact, releasing a burst of electrical energy and mana with a radius of around two to three meters, stunning and damaging foes. The power scales with the power of the caster.

Mastery Level Two (Adept)

At Mastery Level Two, you get more out of the spell. It is stronger and faster but has a smaller range, and it can be charged up faster. At Mastery Level Two, it takes two emotes to charge and one emote to throw. In this level, it does not do radius damage, but more precise damage. The Lightning Spear is sharp, and it pierces through targets, causing lots of damage and releasing some energy as it pierces into or through them, stunning them as well. The spear travels at around twelve meters a second but has a range of twenty meters. The power scales with the power of the caster.

Mastery Level Three (Master)

At Mastery Level Three, you get access to the strongest form of the spell, which is worth it after all the hard work and training done to achieve this level. The spear travels at fifteen meters a second and has a range of 45 meters, and has two forms. Using the first form, the spear will explode upon impact, releasing deadly lightning magic and regular magic in a three meter radius, stunning and possibly incapacitating enemies as well as causing physical damage due to the intensity of the energy. The second form is the piercing form,
 where it pierces through objects, releasing energy as it pierces into or through your foe, stunning and possibly incapacitating your foe. Both forms take two emotes to charge and one to throw. Anti-magic can cancel mastery levels one and two, but anti-magic can not cancel mastery level three, at least once it's thrown. Anti-magic can cancel the charging/forming of the spell, but once the spear is thrown anti-magic cannot cancel it, at least fully. It will reduce its effectiveness by 50%, though. The power of the spell scales with the power of the caster.

Scaling?

What I mean when I say "The power of the spell scales with the power of the caster.", is that, the power of the spell scales with the power of the caster. For simple terms, a level 100 mage casting mastery level three will be able to do much more damage than a level 50 mage casting mastery level three. It's possible that a level 100 mage casting mastery level two could do way damage than a level 50 mage casting mastery three. Of course that's a massive power gap, as in the level 100 mage being double the power of the level 50, but it's just a general example. Also, I know levels aren't used when it comes to mages and what not in Elysium, I'm also just using that to simplify the explanation. Every factor can be increased slightly depending on the power of the mage casting the spell. A very slight increase to range or speed, radius of effect, piercing power, electrical power, et cetera, all depending on how powerful the mage is and how attuned they are to lightning magic, a powerful enough mage could even cast the spell quicker than others. 

Appearance?

The "spear" is two meters long and is a long, thin pole (like a spear) of lightning. The color is yellow, and the shape is malformed, as in it is constantly crackling and changing in terms of appearance as it is lightning. The tip of it comes down to a rather sharp point.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Criticism? Suggestions? Leave it down below!
  • Minecraft Username: MasterThor

May 15, 2018, 06:02:31 pm
Why can't anti magic cancel the mastery 3 level spear?

Also, you could have put this into a google doc so it's easier to navigate.
  • Character name: Vuldin Oberon
  • Minecraft Username: Zucchini_Warrior

May 16, 2018, 04:53:24 am
Why can't anti magic cancel the mastery 3 level spear?

Also, you could have put this into a google doc so it's easier to navigate.

Because anti-magic instantly removing all magic is kind of bs. Usually anti-magic just weakens spells, and depending on how strong the anti-magic is it could nullify low level spells. Seeing as mastery level 3 is the most powerful the spell can get 50% less effectiveness is even generous imo.
  • Character name: Cassandra, Maxwell, Kaitlin~
  • Minecraft Username: Jyecarson, LifeStrife_2017

May 16, 2018, 09:39:44 am
No I'd like to see more of a story behind it rather have just "oh it stops it because well you know it just does" what part of the spell actually prevents anti magic from canceling it
  • Character name: Vuldin Oberon
  • Minecraft Username: Zucchini_Warrior

May 16, 2018, 09:59:06 am
No I'd like to see more of a story behind it rather have just "oh it stops it because well you know it just does" what part of the spell actually prevents anti magic from canceling it
The answer is 'Anti-magic shouldn't cancel it in the first place', but. I'm speaking for myself, not Thor.
  • Character name: Cassandra, Maxwell, Kaitlin~
  • Minecraft Username: Jyecarson, LifeStrife_2017

• No avatar
May 16, 2018, 03:16:23 pm
for a lightning spear it moves Really slow, hell a javelin thrower can throw faster than that spear can travel. I mean the Anti-magic thing is a bit odd but it's not that broken although producing enough magic to actually pierce before the anti-magic dissolves the spell is clearly a mastery level of it's own. So it's not that Anti-magic doesn't work, it's that there's so much energy generated that it lasts long enough to pierce. The biggest problem with this is that the spear moves 45 meters, assuming it still moves 12 meters a second, that's far less than a baseball players fast ball pitch. Is it's slow speed because the spell itself is slow? or is it because your character is just that ridiculously weak. If this spear is called the lightning spear it doesn't by any means seem like one, it's more like a giant metal lightning rod that the lightning can't get away from and you're just throwing a really heavy rod with a charge.
  • Character name: Masato
  • Minecraft Username: ThereIsNoSam

• No avatar
May 16, 2018, 03:47:34 pm
for a lightning spear it moves Really slow, hell a javelin thrower can throw faster than that spear can travel. I mean the Anti-magic thing is a bit odd but it's not that broken although producing enough magic to actually pierce before the anti-magic dissolves the spell is clearly a mastery level of it's own. So it's not that Anti-magic doesn't work, it's that there's so much energy generated that it lasts long enough to pierce. The biggest problem with this is that the spear moves 45 meters, assuming it still moves 12 meters a second, that's far less than a baseball players fast ball pitch. Is it's slow speed because the spell itself is slow? or is it because your character is just that ridiculously weak. If this spear is called the lightning spear it doesn't by any means seem like one, it's more like a giant metal lightning rod that the lightning can't get away from and you're just throwing a really heavy rod with a charge.

Tried to keep it slow so it doesn't seem OP. I might change the speeds as they are relatively slow, perhaps make them equivalent to actual spear-throwing speeds, which is most likely what I'll do.

• No avatar
May 16, 2018, 03:48:41 pm
Anyways, Jyecarson is somewhat correct. The power of the spell itself, Mastery Level 3, the highest level achievable of the spell, has enough power to keep itself going under anti-magic, but it does undergo a reduction of 50% in effectiveness. Which is fair, no?

Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • MasatoYugisko: also wow you put a lot of work into your introduction...
    May 18, 2018, 03:10:32 am
  • TrueMasterThor: Lol. I still have some to add to it
    May 18, 2018, 05:22:29 am
  • MasatoYugisko: show me drawings.
    May 18, 2018, 03:02:58 pm
  • MasatoYugisko: i have a piquing interest towards art.
    May 18, 2018, 03:03:11 pm
  • Mark: Sorry for advertising if it bugs you, but here is my newest race! [link]
    May 18, 2018, 03:26:40 pm
  • TrueMasterThor: My current best drawing is a picture of my significant other, which I made around 6 or 5 months ago, I can create a newer drawing here soon to show you too, but it'd be of a sword or knife or something like that, or an axe.
    May 18, 2018, 08:45:04 pm
  • TrueMasterThor: 5-6 months ago I was really bad at drawing but I have greatly improved recently.
    May 18, 2018, 08:45:32 pm
  • TrueMasterThor: I'll draw something up here soon and show ya, when I get the time ofc.
    May 18, 2018, 08:45:49 pm
  • _Mr_hyde_: I just watched black panther, and my favorite part is How Killmonger makes Car noises.
    May 19, 2018, 03:16:50 am
  • TrueMasterThor: Kek I just figured out why my ban appeal wasn't answered
    May 20, 2018, 03:37:55 am
  • _KnightSolaire_: ?
    May 20, 2018, 06:25:32 am
  • Void: Hello
    May 20, 2018, 10:03:30 am
  • TrueMasterThor: Hello
    May 20, 2018, 01:42:44 pm
  • TrueMasterThor: Also @Knight it's because you have to wait few months after your permaban before making an appeal, I didn't wait long at all. I didn't know you're supposed to wait
    May 20, 2018, 01:43:23 pm
  • _Mr_hyde_: I Gino that Might be a New rule, Because I remember that People used to put out Permban appeals shortly after they were banned, and still get accepted to come back.
    May 20, 2018, 03:47:22 pm
  • TrueMasterThor: I checked the rules and stuff and that's what it said so yeet, also sammo replied to the appeal and said "Not at this time" so it makes sense.
    May 20, 2018, 03:54:58 pm
  • _Mr_hyde_: Le Shrug
    May 20, 2018, 04:06:56 pm
  • TrueMasterThor: [link] <<-- Advertising.
    May 20, 2018, 04:31:21 pm
  • TrueMasterThor: Join my group we have free cookies and coffee in the mornings.
    May 20, 2018, 04:31:33 pm
  • TrueMasterThor: Should I make a lore post about Tacitus' hammer?
    May 20, 2018, 11:39:01 pm